Use leftover chicken or turkey, and wild rice harvested nearby, to make this lovely soup
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup with Artichoke Hearts
No ratings yet
Total Time: 1 hour hour 20 minutes minutes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup wild rice (5 ounces)
- 2 quarts chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 cup frozen artichoke hearts
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups bite-size pieces of roasted chicken or turkey
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the celery, carrots, onion, garlic, thyme and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables just start to soften, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring, until evenly coated and lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add the wild rice to the saucepan and gradually stir in the stock and water. Bring to a boil, then simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add the chicken and artichoke hearts and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the wild rice is tender, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!