This is a decedent dessert and its easy to put together. The crust is a wonderful combination of dates and cashews.
Coconut and Chocolate Ice Box Cake
No ratings yet
Total Time: 30 minutes minutes
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped, pitted Medjool dates
- ½ cup semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 pint dark chocolate ice cream, thawed until softened
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes preferably overnight
- 1 cup coconut ice cream, thawed until softened
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 – 2 tablespoons water, if needed
- ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Make the crust: Lightly grease the bottom and sides of an 8-inch spring form pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the “S” blade combine the almonds, oats, dates, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt. Process until the ingredients begin to clump together, about 1- 1½ minutes. Transfer the mixture to an 8-inch spring form pan, gently pressing the crust into the pan and around the edges until the crust layer is level and smooth.
- Chocolate Layer: Pour the softened ice cream over the crust and smooth the top with a silicone spatula. Gently tap the pan against the kitchen counter to release any air bubbles that are trapped in the filling and place in the freezer until set, about 1½ – 2 hours.
- Coconut layer: In the bowl of a clean food processor fitted with the “S” blade or in a high powered blender combine the soaked cashews, coconut ice cream and milk, maple syrup and cinnamon. Blend until completely smooth, stopping to scrape the sides as necessary. This step can take anywhere from 1-3 minutes depending on the strength of your machine. Pour the blended cashew layer over the partially frozen ice cream layer.
- Smooth the top with a rubber spatula until even and gently tap the pan against the kitchen counter to release any air bubbles that are trapped in the filling. Sprinkle the shredded coconut over the top of the cashew layer and press in gently with the palm of your hand. Place the pan back in the freezer for 6-8 hours or overnight until completely set.
- To serve: Place the spring form pan in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes. Gently remove the side wall of the pan from the cake. Slice and serve.
- Store any uneaten cake completely wrapped in the freezer.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!