Fast, Easy and Scrumptous!
Spinach and Shallot with Poached Egg on toast
No ratings yet
Total Time: 10 minutes minutes
- 1 large egg
- 1 slice of your favorite hearty bread
- 2 ounces baby spinach
- 1 pat butter
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot or white onion
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smooth Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon crumbled cheese, such as goat cheese or feta
- Spinach, shallot and smashed egg toastPrep time ~ 3 minutesBring small pot of water to boil. Lower egg into it and boil for five minutes. Rinse egg briefly under cool water and set aside.
- Wash your spinach but no need to dry it. Put a small puddle of water in the bottom of a skillet and heat it over medium-high. Once the water is simmering, add the spinach and cook it until it is just wilted, and not a moment longer. Transfer it to a colander and press as much of the excess water out with the back of a fork as possible. No need to wring it out here; we’re hoping to those lovely wilted leaves intact. Keep that fork; you’ll use it again in a moment.
- Put your bread in to toast.
- Dry your skillet if it is still wet. Heat a pat of butter in it over medium-low heat. Add shallots and cook them for a few minutes, until translucent and a little sweet. Return spinach to skillet and add cream. Simmer them together for one minute, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Put your toast on your plate and spread it thinly with Dijon mustard. Heap the spinach-and-shallot mixture on top, then add the crumbled cheese. Peel your egg; doing so under running water can make this easier. Once peeled, place it on your spinach toast, smash it open with the back of that fork you used a minute ago, and sprinkle it with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Eat immediately.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!