This lasagna is from my Aunt Marge and is one of the first recipes I learned to make. It's a classic because, like a true classic, this never goes out of style.
Aunt Marge's LasagnaPrint Grocery List Print Recipe
- 1/2 sweet Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan or romano cheese
In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned.
Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and water. Season with sugar, basil, oregano, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (190 degrees C).
To assemble, spread 1/3 of the meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 4 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with 1/3 mozzarella cheese and 1/3 of the ricotta cheese and 1/3 parmesan cheese. Repeat layers two more times, for a total of 3 layers. The noodles and cheese should be on the top.
Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.