So simple especially with Walla Walla asparagus!
Cream of Asparagus Soup
No ratings yet
Total Time: 1 hour hour 30 minutes minutes
- 8 tablespoons ( 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 cups chopped yellow onions (about 4 large onions)
- 2 quarts chicken stock, thoroughly defatted
- 2 pounds asparagus
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Melt the butter in a large pot over low heat and simmer the onions until very soft and golden, stirring often, about 25 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, trim the tips from the asparagus and reserve. Cut about 1 inch from the butt ends of the asparagus spears; don't try to remove all of the tough parts, just the very woody ends. Chop the spears into ½ inch pieces and drop into the boiling chicken stock, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the asparagus is very soft, 45 minutes.
- Force the soup, broth and all, through the medium disc of a food mill. Return the puree to the pot, add the reserved asparagus tips, and simmer until they are tender but still firm, 5 to 10 minutes. If serving the soup hot, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!