You'll be in heaven after one bite of these sunny-side up eggs in a spicy tomato sauce. A perfect dish for brunch, or when you want breakfast for dinner.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle on at the end
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 1 anchovy filet, minced (or a ½ teaspoon of anchovy paste)
- 4 teaspoons fresh oregano
- a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 4 large eggs (shown with 3)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra to garnish (or you can use crumbled feta)
- 4 slices of toasted country bread of your choice
- On a cutting board, combine garlic, parsley, anchovies (if using paste you will add that later), oregano and pepper and chop them all up together until they’re finely chopped. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Once hot, swirl in the olive oil. When the oil shimmers, add garlic-parsley mixture to the pan and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. If using anchovy paste, now is the time to add that and stir it into the mixture. Add tomatoes slowly and carefully (because they’ll most likely splatter a bit when you add them), and stir to combine.
- Lower heat to medium-low and simmer sauce for 10 minutes. Taste and season with salt, pepper and extra red pepper flakes (if you like things a bit spicy!)
- With the back of a wooden spoon, make a small indentation in the sauce for each egg and crack them directly into the pan. Sprinkle the eggs and sauce with Parmesan and cover pan partially with a lid.
- Let the eggs cook for about 5-7 minutes. You want the whites to be firmly cooked, but the yolks to be runny, so keep an eye and add a couple of extra minutes if need be.
- When the eggs are cooked, drizzle entire pan with a little extra olive oil, then finish with more pepper, cheese and parsley. Serve immediately with toasted bread.
Inspired by Smitten Kitchen
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!