Broil up some flank steak, make the sauce while it's cooking and PRESTO....dinner is on the table is under 30 minutes! Easy, delicious and one of my go to meals when I'm on the go with the kids!
- 2 1/2 pounds flank steak
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 cups packed Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 2 anchovy fillets (or 1 tablespoon of anchovy paste)
- A couple of pinches of red pepper flakes
- ½ to ¾ cups olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Generously season the steak with salt and pepper. Let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, put the parsley, basil, garlic, capers, anchovies and red pepper flakes in a food processor. Add a generous pinch of salt. Pulse the mixture until it looks roughly chopped. With the machine running, slowly add the olive oil. Start with ½ a cup, and if it’s too dense, continue to add a bit more to loosen up the sauce. Add half the lemon juice and taste. If you like a bit more citrus add more juice. If you want it with a bit of a kick, add a couple (or a few) pinches of red pepper flakes.
- Preheat your oven to broil. Move the oven rack so it sits about 4-5 inches from the broiler flame. Put the steak on a baking sheet and broil for about 5 minutes a side for medium rare. Add a couple of extra minutes to each side if you want it closer to medium. Some broilers cook a bit slower, so you may need to cook the steak longer, 3-5 minutes per side.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. This is a really important step! Letting the steak rest allows all the juices to remain inside the steak for juicy tender meat. If you slice the meat too early, all those delicious flavorful juices wind up all over the cutting board instead.
- Thinly slice the steak across the grain. Serve on individual plates or a large platter. I like to drizzle a bit of the sauce over the steak, and serve the rest of the sauce on the side.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!