Enjoy the best lemon sour cream pie ever!
- 1 9” pie shell, baked and cooled1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2-3 lemons)
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Zest of one lemon (about 1/2 tablespoon)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Crack eggs in a small bowl, beat slightly with a fork and set aside.
- In a large saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in milk and fresh lemon juice and stir to combine. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and bubbling.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for two more minutes. Add a spoonful of the hot mixture into the egg yolks and stir well. Repeat this process with two or three more spoonfuls of the hot mixture added to the egg yolks. (The goal is to temper the egg yolks so they don’t cook when added to the hot saucepan.) Poor egg mixture into the saucepan and stir well. Bring mixture to a gentle boil and cook for two more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add softened butter and lemon zest and stir until butter melts completely. Allow mixture to cool and then stir in sour cream. Add filling to your pie shell.
- In a mixing bowl, beat heavy whipping cream with an electric mixer. While beating, add sugar. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream over pie filling. Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours before serving. It’s also lovely frozen.
- Enjoy the best lemon sour cream pie ever!
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!