This is my definition of a comfort meal -- Short ribs are cooked until they fall off the bone into a rich tomato wine sauce. This rich, decadent sauce is generously spooned over tagliatelle pasta for a warm, comforting and entirely satisfying meal.
Short Rib Tagliatelle
No ratings yet
Total Time: 6 hours hours 36 minutes minutes
- 3 pounds beef short ribs
- 3 tablespoons olive oIl
- 1 medium onion, peeled & diced small
- 2 carrots, peeled, trimmed & diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 (24 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 pound Taglietelle
- 1 cup beef stock
- In a large heavy skillet or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat and brown the ribs well on all sides. Place the ribs in your slow cooker, and add the onions and carrots to the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until they take on color.
- Add the garlic, and cook until fragrant.
- Add the red wine and beef stock to the skillet, and stir well, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour the beef stock and wine and carrots over the ribs, then also add the tomatoes, paste, parsley, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Turn your slow cooker on low for 6 hours. (If the sauce begins to thicken too much, add a cup of water or beef stock)
- After 6 hours, use a fork to pull the meat off the bones of the ribs, break the meat up into small pieces, and discard the bones.
- With an emulsion blender, puree until desired consistency. Reduce sauce by one third on medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Cook the pasta until it is "al dente", then drain.
- Add a scoop of sauce to the pasta and combine. Pass the cheese
- Serve the pasta in individual bowls topped with additional sauce and a sprinkling of chopped parsley. Pass the cheese around the table.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!