The crunch of the almonds, sweetness of the raisins and freshness of the green onion and cilantro is a fabulous and a different combination. I love meals you can serve in one bowl. It is surprisingly filling.
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup couscous, preferably whole wheat
- 2 cups coarsely shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts only, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for topping
- Greek yogurt and/or harissa or other hot sauce, for topping
- Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, the ginger, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the carrots and cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain the carrots, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Put the couscous and chicken in a medium bowl; pour 1 cup of the hot cooking liquid on top. Stir, then cover tightly with plastic wrap and let sit 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the almonds, raisins, scallions and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Cook, stirring, until the nuts are toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the cilantro.
- Divide the couscous and chicken among bowls. Top with the carrots and more of the cooking liquid. Sprinkle with the almond mixture and more cilantro. Top with yogurt and/or harissa.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!