Feta, golden raisins and olives ramp up the flavor and adds a lively Mediterranean twist making this the perfect side dish.
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup chopped shallots
- 3 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup golden raisins (you can also substitute dates)
- ½ cup olives, cut in half
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- Fresh lemon juice
Melt the butter in a large sauté pan, add the shallots and cook for 3 minutes over medium heat. Add the chicken stock, salt and pepper, raise the heat to high and bring the stock to a boil. Off the heat and add the couscous. Cover the pan and let it sit for 10 minutes.
Put the couscous in a large bowl, add the pine nuts, raisins and feta. Toss to incorporate all the ingredients. Taste and add some fresh lemon juice, about ½ tablespoons, for a little extra zing.
From Barefoot Contessa/Ina Garten