What's more romantic than dipping fresh steamed artichoke leaves into a tangy hollandaise sauce.
Steamed Artichokes with Lemon Hollandaise (Side Dish)
No ratings yet
Total Time: 50 minutes minutes
- 2 large artichokes
- 2 lemons
- Fresh herbs – I like to use parsley or thyme
- 1 onion, thinly sliced2 bay leaves
Lemon Hollandaise Sauce:
- 2 egg yolks
- 2-4 teaspoons lemon juice
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and bubbling hot
- Salt to taste
- Trim the tips of the artichokes to make them square. You can do this with kitchen scissors. You can skip this step, but since this dish is a fancy one the artichokes deserve a bit of a trim, don’t you think? Add the artichokes to a large pot and fill with water until the water covers the artichokes. Cut the lemons in half and squeeze them over the artichokes. Add the lemons to the water, along with the herbs, onion and bay leaves.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Once the water comes to a boil, turn down the heat to medium and simmer until artichokes are cooked, about 35-45 minutes. You’ll know they are done when you can take kitchen tongs and pull off the leaves easily.
- When the artichokes are finished cooking, make the lemon hollandaise. In a blender, combine egg yolks, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and salt. Blend at high speed until well mixed. With blender on high speed, slowly pour in the hot butter until mixed.
- Place artichokes on platter and serve with the hollandaise sauce.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!