Sauteed apples in cinnamon and sugar, and cranberries soaked in Grand Marnier make this french toast the star! You can make this ahead of time......your guests will think you worked all morning! (your secret is safe with me!)
Baked Cranberry Apple French Toast
No ratings yet
Total Time: 2 hours hours 15 minutes minutes
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 5 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 to 8 apples, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 1 (1-pound) loaf French, Italian or egg bread
- 10 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Maple syrup, warmed
- Soak cranberries in Grand Marnier and set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add apple slices and toss until apple slices are well coated with the sugar and spice mixture. Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of apples, stirring often, until sugar melts and apples just begin to get tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside to cool. Repeat with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons butter and remaining apples.
- While apples are cooking, cut bread into 1/2-inch-thick slices. In a stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, whisk eggs, milk and vanilla until the egg mixture is light and frothy. Drain liquid from cranberries and whisk in liquid to egg mixture.
- Butter a 13x9-inch glass baking dish. Place about ½ bread slices in 1 layer on bottom of dish. Pour 1/2 milk mixture over bread. Sprinkle with drained cranberries. Top with second layer bread slices. Pour remaining milk mixture over top. Add layer of cooled apples. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove foil and gently brush top with cream. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar.
- Bake at 325 degrees until knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Serve with warm maple syrup.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!