Fast and delicious comfort food
Chicken and White Bean Chili
No ratings yet
Total Time: 1 hour hour 20 minutes minutes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 - 15 oz. white kidney beans
- 4 fresh Anaheim chilies
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (Sriracha, tobasco - or leave out if you're not a fan of spice)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3/4 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese (about 3 ounces)
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Cooked white, basmati or jasmine rice (optional)
- Char chilies over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides. Put the chilies in a ziplock bag and let stand 10 minutes. This will make it really easy to peel the chilies.
- When they're cook enough to hold, peel, seed, and chop chilies. Set aside.
- Melt butter in heavy large stock or soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in flour and keep stirring for 5 minutes. Don't let the flour brown, so you may need to turn your heat down if you see it start to brown. Cooking the flour is cooking out the flour taste. You want the flour to thicken your chili, and don't want it to flavor your chili.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth and half and half. Simmer gently until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add reserved white beans and roasted chilies, shredded chicken, and next 5 ingredients.
- Simmer gently to blend flavors, about 20 minutes.
- Add grated cheese and sour cream to chili; stir just until chili is heated through and cheese melts. Keep the heat on low and be sure it's not boiling. You want the residual heat to melt the cheese and sour cream into the chili.
- Ladle chili into bowls and garnish with cilantro and serve.
- You can make the chili 1 day ahead. Chill until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm before continuing.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!