Kale, Sausage and White Bean Soup -- This hearty soup doubles down on the protein with both sausage AND beans, with some greens thrown in for good measure. Perfect for the cool, fall weather!
Kale and White Bean SoupPrint Grocery List Print Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 ounces Spanish chorizo, casing removed if needed, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch kale, center ribs and stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 14.5-oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onion starts to soften then add the garlic and continue sautéing until the garlic becomes fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
Add the chorizo and cook until the chorizo is golden, about 6–8 minutes. Then add kale, turmeric, curry powder and chili flakes and cook, tossing occasionally, until wilted, about 3 minutes.
Add beans and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until flavors meld, 15–20 minutes. Season the soup with salt and pepper.
Divide soup among bowls, sprinkle with parsley. I like to serve the soup with lemon wedges alongside to squeeze over the soup and add a touch of acidity.