This meatloaf has the trifecta of meats and is paired with a tangy bbq sauce. This is sure to be a hit for all the meatlovers in your family.
Meatloaf with Blackberry BBQ saucePrint Grocery List Print Recipe
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups blackberries, use fresh or frozen (if using frozen, thaw before using)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3 pieces good country bread, crusts removed, torn into small pieces
Put the 1st seven ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until nice and smooth. If you want the sauce extra smooth and don’t want the blackberry seeds, pour the sauce into a mesh strainer (don’t forget to put a bowl under the strainer!), and with a spatula push the sauce through the strainer. If you’re super fancy, you can use a china hat or chinoise strainer.
Once the sauce is strained, add it to a small saucepan and cook over medium-low heat for about 15-20 minutes. You want the sauce to be dark and really thick. Stir and remove from heat.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. It’s time to get “hands on” with your meat. Combine all your meat in to a large bowl, and with clean hands (you also might want to remove any rings), mix all the meat together. Place the meat mixture in a 5 x 9 loaf pan. Pour about 1/2 cup of the bbq sauce over the top of the meatloaf. Bake for 1 – 1 ½ hours until just cooked through.
Let the meatloaf cool for about 5 minutes. While the meatloaf is cooling warm up the rest of the sauce. Drizzle some over the meatloaf.
Cut the meatloaf into slices and serve with sauce on the side.