Thinly shaved Brussels sprouts pair well with the licorice bite of fennel, sweet pear and toasted nuts to make this a versatile fall side dish.
Shaved Brussel Sprout SaladPrint Grocery List Print Recipe
- 1 bag of prewashed organic spinach
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 bunch of kale, thinly sliced
- 1 head of romaine, thinly sliced
- ½ pound Brussel sprouts
- 1 Bosc pear, peeled, cored and cubed
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- One jar of your favorite vinaigrette dressing
- Optional garnish: ½ cup pomegranate seeds (you can also substitute dried cranberries)
With a mandoline on the thinnest setting, or with a very sharp knife, shave the Brussel sprouts into 1/8 inch slices. Cut off the top fronds of the fennel and remove the hard outer layer from the bulb.
Using the mandoline or sharp knife, thinly slice the fennel bulb into 1/8 inch slices. Add the shaved Brussel sprouts and fennel to a large salad bowl. Add the spinach, romaine, pomegranate seeds and pear. Toss with some of the dressing.
Let sit for about 15 minutes before serving.