Sweet cheesy cornbread amped up with the flavor of jalapeno. And, don't worry, the jalapeño adds flavor, not spice!
Jalapeno Cornbread (Side Dish)Print Grocery List Print Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pan
- 8 ounces aged extra-sharp Cheddar, grated, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts, plus extra for garnish (about 3 scallions)
- 3 tablespoons minced jalapeño, seeds and white pith removed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13x2 inch baking pan.
Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don't overmix! Mix in 2 cups of the grated Cheddar, the scallions and jalapenos, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar and extra chopped scallions. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.
From Barefoot Contessa, At Home