Flavors of chicken and dumplings, but Gnocchi is used instead of dumplings.
Modern Chicken and Dumplings with Gnocchi
No ratings yet
Total Time: 2 hours 5 minutes
- 1 box store bought gnocchi
Chicken and gravy:
- 10 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 celery stalks, cut crosswise into 1/4"-thick slices
- 1 carrot, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 parsnip, peeled, cut into 1/4"-thick rounds
- 1 leek, halved lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/4"-thick slices
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Shaved Parmesan
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Add chicken; reduce heat to low, cover, and gently simmer until chicken is tender and cooked through, 20–30 minutes.
- Remove chicken; let cool slightly and shred into bite-size pieces. Bring broth to a boil and cook until reduced to 8 cups, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small heavy saucepan over low heat. Whisk in flour until smooth and cook, whisking constantly, until roux is pale beige in color, about 15 minutes. Be sure the roux doesn't brown.
- Scrape roux into simmering broth; whisk until thickened and broth coats the back of a spoon.
- Reduce heat to low and add vegetables. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the gnocchi according the instructions on the box.
- Using a spider (or slotted spoon), add cooked gnocchi to chicken and veggie broth.
- Serve in large bowls immediately.
Recipe inspired from Bon Appetit
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!