This recipe has two (count 'em! two!) layers of fresh peaches or nectarines. Lay the thick batter on the bottom of the pan, top with fruit and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. More batter goes on top and another layer of peaches/nectarines.
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature (I used 2 large eggs from the fridge, put in warm water for 5 minutes before use)
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (I used about 1/4 cup silvered almonds on half the cake)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch-square baking pan. I placed a sheet of parchment paper and sprayed with with Pam with Flour.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1/2 cup sugar and the cinnamon. This is the topping. Set aside.
- In the bowl of the KitchenAid with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy on medium speed (about 4 minutes). With the mixer on low, add the eggs, one at a time, then the sour cream and vanilla, and mix until the batter is smooth.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix just until combined.
- Spread half of the batter evenly in the pan. Top with half of the nectarines, then sprinkle with two-thirds of the sugar mixture. Spread the remaining batter on top, arrange the remaining nectarines on top and sprinkle with the remaining sugar mixture and the pecans.
- Bake the cake for 45 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature. My cake took 60 minutes to cook.
- Adapted from the Barefoot Contessa's Fresh Peach Cake
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!