The salad is full of fall flavors with tangy orange and tart pomegranate seeds, and almonds add some crunch.
- 4 cups very finely chopped or slivered curly kale or Russian kale (remove from the stem, leaves only)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped toasted almonds
- 1 orange, peeled and sectioned (you can also substitute a sweet apple, like a Fuji or Braeburn)
- 1 ounce sharp Cheddar cheese, cut in 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 very small garlic clove, finely minced (I use my microplane, very carefully, to mince the garlic)
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
Combine the kale, almonds, orange, Cheddar and pomegranate seeds in a large bowl.
In a measuring glass, whisk together the lemon juice, salt, garlic and olive oil. Add to the salad, and toss well. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top, and serve.
Tip: This salad greatly benefits from tossing with the dressing about 15 minutes before you serve it. The acid in the lemon juice breaks down the kale making it more tender.