Aloha BBQ Chicken Skewers --- Add some Hawaiian flair to your next party with these tropical inspired chicken skewers. The tangy bbq marinade starts off the party with island flavors and the roasted peppers, onions and pineapple add to the festivities.
- 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce (I like to use a Hawaiian BBQ sauce)
- 4 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size chunks
- 4 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- 2 red bell pepper, chopped into bite sized chunks
- 2 orange bell pepper, chopped into bite size chunks
- 1 large Walla Walla onion, chopped into bite size chunks
- Sriracha Honey Butter
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1-2 tablespoons Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Zest of half a lime
- Make the Sriracha honey butter. In a small bowl, mix together the butter, Sriracha, honey and lime zest. Store at room temperature.
- To make the Hawaiian BBQ sauce, whisk together the BBQ sauce, pineapple juice, lime juice and cilantro in a medium size bowl. Add the chicken to a gallon size ziplock bag and toss with 1/4 cup of the BBQ sauce mixture.
- Refrigerate the chicken overnight, or for several hours. I like to marinate the chicken overnight, and then wake up in the morning, assemble the skewers (alternating chicken, pineapple, peppers and onion) and store the skewers in the fridge until ready to grill. This way all the work is done well before the guests arrive. Remove the skewers about 30 minutes before cooking so the chicken and veggies reach about room temperature.
- Preheat your grill to medium high. Brush the skewers lightly with olive oil. Grill until lightly charred and cooked through, turning them occasionally throughout cooking, about 10 to 12 minutes total. Transfer the skewers to a plate.
- Brush the skewers with Sriracha butter and serve with extra Hawaiian BBQ sauce.