Chicken is cooked in coconut milk which adds a richness and creaminess and cuts through the spice to make this a weeknight favorite in my house.
Chicken Coconut Curry
No ratings yet
Total Time: 1 hour hour 20 minutes minutes
- 3 tablespoons Ghee, recipe follows (or use store bought)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 -inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips (you can also use chicken thighs)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Mint leaves, for garnish
- 4 cups cooked basmati rice
- Heat the ghee in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions, ginger, and garlic and cook slowly until the onions are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, curry powder, cinnamon stick, and red pepper flakes and give it a good stir; season with salt and pepper. Pour in the coconut milk and chicken stock and bring it back to a simmer; cook until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken, cilantro, and half the lemon juice; continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls over rice and garnish with cilantro and mint leaves.Recipe from Tyler Florence
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!