In this recipe chicken piccata, a traditional Italian dish that typically consists of thin chicken cutlets that are pan-fried and topped with a pan sauce made with lemon juice and capers, is updated with the addition of meaty artichoke hearts.
Chicken Piccata with Artichokes
No ratings yet
Total Time: 30 minutes minutes
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 1 1/2 lb. (750 g) total
- 1/2 cup (2 1/2 oz./75 g) all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jar (6 oz./185 g) artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./125 ml) low-sodium chicken broth
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbs. capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and cut them in half. Working with one chicken breast half at a time, place the chicken between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and, using a meat pounder or other heavy, flat object, gently pound to an even thickness of about 1/4 inch (6 mm).
- Pour the flour onto a large plate and season it well with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess.
- In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 Tbs. of the olive oil until very hot but not smoking. Working in batches as needed to avoid crowding, add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides and opaque throughout, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat; do not wipe the pan clean. Melt 1 Tbs. of the butter with the remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil. Add the garlic and artichoke hearts and sauté just until the garlic is soft, about 1 minute. Stir in the wine, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Stir in the broth, lemon juice and capers.
- Reduce the heat to medium, bring to a gentle simmer and whisk in the remaining 1 Tbs. butter. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes more. Stir in the parsley. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Return the chicken to the pan and turn to coat each piece with the sauce. Cook just until the chicken is warmed through, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!