Crunchy tacos are stuffed with creamy, cumin-scented potatoes and fiery hint of roasted poblanos in this addictively delicious dish. Traditionally vegetarian and gluten-free, these hearty tacos are built to please everyone.
Crispy Tacos de Papa with Roasted Poblanos
No ratings yet
Total Time: 45 minutes minutes
- 2 1/2 lb russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2" cubes
- 2 poblano peppers
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/4 c milk
- 3/4 c sour cream, plus more for serving
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 24 corn tortillas
- oil for frying
- salsa verde, for serving
- cilantro, optional
Prepare the Filling:
- Place poblano peppers on the top rack of the oven and broil on high, turning periodically, until skin is charred, about 10 minutes per side. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to steam. When cool enough to handle, remove seeds and peels. Chop coarsely and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add potatoes. Return to a simmer and cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain cooked potatoes and return them to the pot over low heat. Add butter and milk. Using a potato masher or wooden spoon, mash until fairly smooth. Stir in chopped roasted poblano, sour cream, shredded cheese, salt, cumin, and pepper.
- Filling can be made up to two days in advance.
Assemble and Fry:
- Heat 2-3 inches of oil over medium high heat in a dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot.
- Spread 3-4 tbs of potato filling into the center of each tortilla and fold in half. Fry in small batches, turning once, until each taco is golden, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Serve tacos with sour cream and salsa verde. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!