Sweet berries and tart lemon combine in this light frozen dessert that is the perfect ending to a Summer meal.
Meyer Lemon Semifreddo With Berries
No ratings yet
Total Time: 30 minutes minutes
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (you can also use toasted pistachios or toasted hazelnuts)
- 1 3/4 cups chilled heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 7 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice or regular lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons finely grated Meyer lemon peel or regular lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups mixed fresh berries (such as raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and quartered hulled strawberries)
- Line 9x5x3-inch metal loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving generous overhang. Sprinkle almonds evenly over bottom of pan, along with about 1/2 cup of the berries.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer), beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Store in refrigerator will making the rest of the dessert.
- In a glass bowl, whisk together 1 1/4 cups sugar, egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon peel, and salt. Set bowl over large saucepan of simmering water and whisk constantly until yolk mixture is thick and fluffy and instant-read thermometer inserted into mixture registers 170°F, about 4 minutes. Remove bowl from over simmering water. For this step, you can also use a double boiler.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg mixture until cool, thick, and doubled in volume, about 6 minutes. Using a spatula, gently fold in chilled whipped cream. You may see streaks of white from the whipped cream, and that’s ok.
- Transfer 1/2 the mixture to prepared loaf pan and, using a spatula, smooth the top. Add 1/2 cup of the berries, and then the rest of the mixture. Using spatula to smooth the top. Tap loaf pan lightly on work surface to remove air pockets. Fold plastic wrap overhang over top to cover. Freeze semifreddo until firm, at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Semifreddo can be made 3 days ahead. Keep frozen.
- When ready to serve, unfold plastic wrap from top of semifreddo and invert dessert onto platter; remove plastic wrap. Dip heavy large knife into hot water; cut semifreddo crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices.
- Transfer to plates; spoon berries alongside, or on the top, and serve.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!