Crunchy fried shrimp seasoned with Creole spices and served on toasted baguette. No need to take a trip to New Orleans -- you can create this tasty (and easy!) dish right at home! Best of all? It's ready and on the table in under 30 minutes!
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 pounds large shrimp, peeled, and deveined
- 6 tablespoons Creole seasoning (see recipe below)
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cayenne
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups yellow cornmeal (you can also substitute Panko or unseasoned breadcrumbs, but I highly recommend using cornmeal)
- 4 small French bread loaves
- 8 tablespoons melted butter
- Remoulade sauce (see recipe below)
- Shredded lettuce (you can also use coleslaw mix)
- Tomato, sliced thin
- Dill pickle slices
- Hot Sauce
- Creole Seasoning
- 2 ½ tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Season the shrimp with tablespoon of the Essence, 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the cayenne. In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour and cornmeal and season with the remaining 2 tablespoons of the Essence, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon cayenne.
- Dredge the shrimp in the seasoned flour mixture; making sure the shrimp is well coated on both sides. Fry the shrimp, in batches, until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the shrimp from the oil and drain on a paper-lined plate. Season with salt and a drizzle of your favorite hot sauce.
- Split the French bread loaves in half and brush both cut sides of the bread with some of the melted butter. Place the halved and buttered loaves on a baking sheet and broil in the oven until lightly golden brown.
- Remove the bread from the oven and spread some of the Remoulade on each half. Drizzle with hot sauce, and divide the shrimp evenly among the 4 sandwiches. Garnish with lettuce, tomato and pickles. Serve with potato chips for an added treat.
- Inspired by Emeril Lagasse
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!