A very healthy whole wheat spaghetti is a perfect side
Spaghetti with Swiss Chard and Pecorini (Side Dish)
No ratings yet
Total Time: 35 minutes minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 bunches Swiss chard, trimmed and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the chard and saute until it wilts, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, wine, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until the tomatoes begin to break down and the chard is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Season the chard mixture, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring frequently, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the spaghetti. Add the spaghetti to the chard mixture and toss to combine.
- Transfer the pasta to serving bowls. Sprinkle the olives, cheese, and pine nuts and serve.
Courtesy of Giada DeLaurentis
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!